Sunday, March 04, 2007

sad but true...

Stoke City Council is the worst local authority in England - along with Rutland, Sandwell, Bristol and Lambeth; and whilst they all got a score of one out of a possible four in a recent Audit Commission assessment, at least they are all improving, all except Stoke. In fact most local authorities are judged to be getting better, even the best of them.

So what's gone wrong in Stoke?
I know a lot of people who work for the council and the vast majority are hardworking and committed to improve things for the people they serve; and many are imaginative and creative to boot. I also know a good many who have left the Civic orifice, heaving a great sigh of relief as they left.
I struggle therefore, to imagine where the problem lies - perhaps you, dear reader, can advise me?

Oh and whilst I am impotently foaming at the mouth - a different lot of poxy politicians have decided to have a go at nurses - I'd be right with them if they took industrial action, not least 'cos I benefit from their work every week... up the workers


looking towards Burslem from Tunstall - click to big it

4 comments:

emma said...

What is it with Stoke On Trent? There seems to be (and I think there really are) lots of good things that go on here. Maybe we don't look outward enough, maybe were just not ambitious enough and accept the way things are to readily. Honestly, I just don't know and that's one of the problems I guess - I've never bothered to try to find out.

Alec said...

I was going to try to answer your question about the city council, but decided it would be too long for a comment. so I've posted about it on my blog instead.

tone the blueshawk said...

Thanks Alec I look forward to what you have to say txxx

tone the blueshawk said...

I urge you to read Alec's insightful post here - http://alec-m.blogspot.com/2007/03/party-on-dudes.html ...