Thursday, December 28, 2006

party on

I went to a real party last night - one like you see in films, where you stand talking with fascinating people while sipping good wine and, thanks to Rhian and David, eating fantastic food. Despite desperately achy joints, I had a wonderful time - I don't think I've ever met and talked to so many new people who were interesting, funny and kind, in so short a space of time.
The occasion was the birthday of our friend Richard who was 60 yesterday, and another of his friends David, who was 55. Pen and I felt honoured to have been invited as there were only about 25 people there, of whom I knew only about a quarter.
Amongst others, I met Sue and Julian who own and tend the best garden (I'm sure of it) in N Staffs - Pen and I had been there on open days and were astounded at the imagination and excitement packed into such a small area - the garden includes a 30 foot waterfall, a roundabout, a Japanese tea house over water, a surprise fountain that delights and shocks both children and adults, and of course wonderful planting. It was great pleasure to meet them and hear how they had transformed a derelict plot and house. If you like gardens even just a little bit, watch out for open days at Bleak House in Bagnall, the experience is far from bleak.

Happy birthday Richard and David - thank you for a wonderful evening - and Happy birthday Dad, who died in 1962, but would have been 86 yesterday....

No comments: