Saturday, December 30, 2006

Disgruntled of Stoke

For weather watchers, I can report that the sky above Stoke-on-Trent has been cloudy over-night, every night since Christmas day (at least it has been during the hours when I am awake). Had it been clear I could have been looking at the Crab nebula (see right) through my lovely new telescope. The best I've managed so far is an exceptionally clear, but frankly uninspiring view of a neighbour's gutter.
The Crab nebula is the remains of a super-nova that Chinese observers saw in 1054AD, although because the Crab is 6300 light-years away the super-nova itself (the cataclysmic explosion of a star) took place when people where still knocking stones together to make tools.
Actually I have no idea whether the Crab would have been visible from Stoke in late December - but then how would I? - since it has been overcast every night since Christmas (in case you haven't noticed).
Metcheck rather helpfully run a free service for amateur astronomers here.
Perhaps if everyone in the Potteries stopped breathing for a bit that would stop things steaming up so much?

3 comments:

Alec said...

I hope your neighbour realises that you were looking at their gutter and not their bedroom window...

tone the blueshawk said...

the magnification is so high that it wouldn't be any good for a voyeur - you might get to see what the care label on a nightie suggests is the correct washing tempreture

Anonymous said...

if everyone turned their lights off that might help....