Wednesday, October 10, 2007

mark my words...

I'm the kind of sad git that listens to, and watches current affairs programmes on radio and TV. And I am endlessly enraged by the way that politicians speak to us - often patronising and pompous, inevitably evasive, hardly ever informative or convincing, invariably aggressive, but most aggravatingly of all, they use stock phrases that only politicians ever use -

  • "I'm bound to say...." - what, I ask myself, binds them to say the bit of nonsense they then go on to utter?
  • "Let me just say...." - most often said when nothing at all is preventing them from speaking - "Go on then say it" I shout, "get on with it....."
  • "across the piece" - for example - "this policy will be effective across the piece" - the piece of what? cake? (oo! I do hope so)
  • "a raft of "- as in, "a whole raft of measures"

I'm bound to say that I don't like this kind of language used across the piece by politicians, when talking about a whole raft of issues; and let me just say I will not tolerate it any further!

Do you have pet language hates?

5 comments:

klahanie said...

Hello Tone-
Let me say this about that. Ah politicians and the art of 'doublespeak'. Or, how to distort their meaning. Yes indeed Tone, all this 'spin' could leave one dizzy. I was 'bound' to say that.
When it comes to 'rafts'..I think of that book I read way back when. It was called 'Kon Tiki'. Sorry I think I've gone a bit surreal. (quite unusual for me?)
I'll tell you what I hate Tony. That expression 'at the end of the day'. At the end of the day it's midnight! Simple.
Thank you for your supportive comments on my most recent blog. It is greatly appreciated. I know you realise what an important part comments are within our community.
I'm glad to note that you are feeling a bit better. I do worry about you. I shall phone you soon. Warm wishes Klahanie.

emma said...

Loadz n loadz Tone! Personally speaking - gets to me a bit, 'I think' before every statement (which I do all the time and cringe when I do it). Ohhh - so many - hope you're doing splendidly and maybe see you soon. Em.

Domenica said...

Hi Tone,

One of my pet-hates is "at this moment in time"....which could obviously be cut down to just two words i.e."at present" or even one word "now"
But politicians seem to adopt the philosophy of 'why use one word...when you could use five'!!
I sincerely hope you continue to stay well Tone....my very best wishes to you....D Xx

Anonymous said...

How about sloppy political correctness? "Sufferers of Mental Health" has me screaming at the radio every time.

Lesley

TALKBANK Action Group said...

Hi Tony

My name's Shirley and I thought I'd better introduce myself as the new member of the MAGMH team.
I've just been having a conversation about you today - in a good way. Amanda was telling me about your knack for photography.. and I was thinking of asking you to help me out with a project - health permitting.

Then I read your blog about annoying language that politicians use. I couldn't think of a single thing, but can tell you that I get a rush of blood to the head every time they open their mouths to spout some new piece of spin.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to meeting you at some point.

All the best,

Shirley McLellan
(Media and Communications Co-ordinator)