Thursday, September 13, 2007

needling myself...

Well.... all those sleep depriving symptoms that I mentioned in my last post, and one or two more problems too personal to mention, turn out to be clear signs that my body is reacting badly to methotrexate. Much more worryingly, blood tests show my liver is struggling. My rheumatologist (a knowledgeable and decent man who I saw earlier this week) says we need to get things sorted quickly because my joints are continuing to deteriorate.
Now, your liver is not an organ to cross - as essential to life as the heart and the brain, the liver is the biochemical powerhouse of the body. However it is pretty sensitive to "alien" chemicals like methotrexate.
I currently take methotrexate (mtx) tablets once a week - it knocks out the immune system for a day, which then takes the rest of the week to recover. Many of the unwanted effects of mtx occur because it passes through the gut. So a possible solution to those unwanted effects is to have methotrexate injected. From next Tuesday therefore, I will trundle up to the Haywood each week to have an injection. Not too much of a problem with that, I'm not phobic about needles, although I still have to look away when they take a blood sample. However, after a couple of visits they will train me to inject myself, and I can't say I'm looking forward to that.
What I'm most concerned about is that, in an attempt to try and stop my misguided immune system attacking my joints, they are going to increase the dose of mtx - so although some of the symptoms should diminish, others may increase.
It's a high risk approach - they will monitor my liver function very closely to make sure it doesn't suffer permanent damage. The potential benefits are that my joints will suffer less damage.
At this point in the consultation, I asked the rheumatologist if we couldn't just leave things as they are - on a tolerable, slightly reduced dose of mtx - he responded, rather darkly "You wouldn't thank me in a few years time if we did".

Oh bugger, and there was me thinking I was doing alright.

On a very positive note - my MA in Community Arts starts next Wednesday - I'm really looking forward to studying again - the discussion, the reading, the learning - unfortunately I will have had the first injection of the increased dose of methotrexate the day before - I hope I feel well enough to attend...

5 comments:

Just Me said...

Mark has been self injecting his Copaxone (one of the ABCs for MS) for two years now. He originally tried using the pen method but he wasn't comfortable with that and given his background he had no problem with giving the actual injection. It still makes me squirm a bit to see him do it, and of course I'm always extremely saddened as it's a daily reminder of his condition, but he assures me that self injection is no biggie once you get used to it.

tone the blueshawk said...

Thanks Elle that's very reassuring. I hope you are well and comfortable at the moment, and that the drugs you take are effective and trouble-free. Tone xxx

klahanie said...

Hello Tony-
My continuing thoughts are with you. I realise how nerve-wracking all of this must be for you. I can empathise on some of what you have written.
You see I have great concerns that my liver and kidneys are not functioning properly. I fear, like you, but I must go to my G.P. to see if my previous concerns have returned.
I hope it turns out to be alright for you Tony.
Sincere wishes Gary.

sunseeker said...

My dear friend

I only wish that there was something I could do that would help. But, I'm afraid that all I can offer are my very best wishes and a shoulder to lean upon if and whenever you feel the need...

Speak soon.xx

Domenica said...

Hi Tone,

I am so sorry to hear of all the added health issues that you are having to contend with. I think that you cope remarkably well, under such challenging circumstances.
My thoughts and my very best wishes are with you.....D Xxx