Wednesday, May 09, 2007

eventual karma...

A few years back my mental state was precarious. My family and I were experiencing the most difficult circumstances - challenges, both acute and chronic, came thick and fast, any one of which could have destroyed our equilibrium.
Something had to give. I could no longer cope with an anxiety-provoking job, at the same time as dealing with bereavements, illness (my own and that of others) and endless bureaucracy. My doctor gave me a few weeks off work to deal with my mental exhaustion.
But I also needed something to take my mind off all the problems - I ended up writing a detailed, possibly obsessive website about my favourite electric guitar the Gibson Blueshawk - it took hundreds of hours, but it helped me remain sane. I had no idea anyone would ever look at it - but now, if you type "blueshawk" into Google it is at the top of the list!

In the four years since I first published the site, I have had hundreds of contacts from guitarists in over 50 countries - and never a negative comment.
Some of those contacts have turned into real friendship.
There is Andreas in Austria, and several correspondents in the US. And then there is Dave in Wigan who is making me a wonderful new custom body for one of my guitars. Most recently there is Ron in Hampshire who sent me a hard case for my Blueshawk. The hard case is an expensive option (not provided as standard) and they have become as rare as hens teeth since Gibson stopped making them - and yet Ron has given me his (his Blueshawk having come to a sad end).... thanks to Ron, Dave and all the others out there in webland who have repaid many times over the effort involved in in writing blueshawk.info.

As Earl discovers in the magnificent TV series "My name is Earl" - what goes around, comes around... eventually.

2 comments:

purkul said...

hya tone,
i'm a firm believer in good being in the most crappy of situations, sometimes its hard to find it, and some times it may take some time for it to become apparent but there generally is.

must say i've had a wee look at your site to, tis fab. like a guitar history lesson! that of l8 is more appealing to me as i've found a new love in me life the old guitar!

who'd a thunk it!?

who knows what great things are gona come out of crappy situations in the future?!

purkul
x

klahanie said...

Greetings Tone-
You, good sir, are an inspirational example of challenging adversity. Considering all your daunting life experiences,you should be most proud of want you have achieved.
Your love of guitars (notably the 'Gibson Blueshawk') demonstrates the therapeutic value of having a passion for your top-notch website.
Positive distractions keep us keeping on. Tone, it is an honour to have met you. Your warmth and humour brightens my day. Long may your brilliant blogs continue.
I had the opportunity to play an 'air' guitar (no strings attached) :-) Cheers from adanac67.